Who we are?
dr. Sonja Bezjak, director, email@example.com
dr. Reinhard Padinger, secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org
Darja Farasin, president of the council, email@example.com
Elias Dorner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Petra Leschanz, email@example.com
Boris Bezjak, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jože Žižek, email@example.com
Monika Bezjak, firstname.lastname@example.org
Andreja Divjak, email@example.com
Darja Farasin, president
dr. Igor Sapač, member
dr. Vito Flaker, member
Elias Dorner, member
Barbara Kotnik, member
Barbara Kotnik, activity coordinator and Curator Educator, firstname.lastname@example.org
External team members
Mag. Saša Bezjak, academic painter and prof. art pedagogy
Metka Lampret, head of the reading club
Odriv, Metka Kitel, s.p., accountant
The Museum of Madness strives to create a comprehensive representation of the phenomenon of madness that will be accessible and relevant to individuals and groups at both the professional and layperson levels, with the ultimate goal of broadening the concept, bringing it up to date, removing tabus, and detaching it from the process of institutionalisation. We work closely with Slovenian organisations in this field as well as similar organisations and institutions across Europe and worldwide.
Through the Museum of Madness we strive to preserve and revitalise Castle Cmurek, the building in which the State Asylum for the Mentally and Neurologically Ill at Hrastovec – Trate operated for decades, thus contributing, we hope, to the ongoing process of de-institutionalising mental illness in Slovenia.
In line with our mission, the Museum of Madness aims to create a full-spectrum cultural, professional, social and tourist centre. We aim to revive the cultural and natural heritage of the surroundings of Castle Cmurek, incentivize the potential of the local community, and integrate our work into the wider region, regardless of the national border nearby. In doing so, we respect the principles of sustainable development and care for the environment.
The earliest mention of Castle Crumb dates to the 12th century. The Styrian Stubenberg family governed the castle from 1401 to 1931.
In the brief period between the First and Second World Wars the owner of the castle was Anton Mally. Following World War II the Yugoslav government nationalized the castle and established an Asylum for the Mentally and Neurologically Ill.
In 2004 the government closed the asylum on the premise that such institutions are inhumane. This was the first such facility that the Slovene government closed as part of a larger program of deinstitutionalization. We have repurposed it as a place of memory.
Priznanja in objave
Nagrade in nominacije
Zveza društev Moja Mura
Darja Farasin, Boris Bezjak in Sonja Bezjak za sodelovanje pri ohranjanju prosto tekoče Mure
Revija Zarja, Nominacija za žensko leta
direktorica Muzeja norosti, dr. Sonja Bezjak, 2018
Priznanje KS Velka za delo v kraju
Zavod Muzej norosti, 2016
Priznanje KUD Gabrijel Kolbič za sodelovanje
Zavod Muzej norosti, 2016
Priznanje Ribiške zveze Slovenije
Boris Bezjak, za razstavo Skrivnostni svet reke Mure, 2014